[R] read .asc from web into R

Sun Jun 3 18:53:15 CEST 2018

Have you tried that url in a web browser? I encountered an access permission error. If you also encountered an error, then so would R. You need to download the file using appropriate access credentials (typ. through a web browser) and read it from disk.

FWIW the ".asc" extension is very nearly meaningless as to identifying the format of the data inside the file. The only useful information imparted by that extension is that you can use a text editor to view it and judge by inspection what the layout is. Originally that extension was used for storing the readable output of a program, which could be laid out in any form deemed readable by a human, with little regard for whether it would be machine-readable.