[R] problems in converting numeric to character

Thu Jun 7 21:40:40 CEST 2018

?formatC (digits, drop0trailing)
?sprintf (format %f)
?cat
?options (digits)

You appear to be confusing source code formatting with output formatting. The internal representation of a numeric value has no notion of the number of decimals that were used to enter it into memory from source code. By the time you (or R) decide to re-convert it to a visual representation (characters), all trace of the original representation has been forgotten, so you have to be explicit about your output format, or R will make assumptions.