[R] Deleting a specific value in a column of a data frame

David L Carlson dc@r|@on @end|ng |rom t@mu@edu
Sat Jun 23 19:25:00 CEST 2018

Bert's solution works if A and B are vectors, but not if they are columns in a data frame. First, let's make up some data:

set.seed(42)
Dat <- data.frame(A=runif(10), B=runif(1))
Dat
#            A         B
# 1  0.9148060 0.4577418
# 2  0.9370754 0.7191123
# 3  0.2861395 0.9346722
# 4  0.8304476 0.2554288
# 5  0.6417455 0.4622928
# 6  0.5190959 0.9400145
# 7  0.7365883 0.9782264
# 8  0.1346666 0.1174874
# 9  0.6569923 0.4749971
# 10 0.7050648 0.5603327

It is safer to preserve the original data frame and store the modified data into a new one. To insert missing values:

Dat1 <- Dat
Dat1[Dat$B >= Dat$A, ] <- NA
Dat1
#            A         B
# 1  0.9148060 0.4577418
# 2  0.9370754 0.7191123
# 3         NA        NA
# 4  0.8304476 0.2554288
# 5  0.6417455 0.4622928
# 6         NA        NA
# 7         NA        NA
# 8  0.1346666 0.1174874
# 9  0.6569923 0.4749971
# 10 0.7050648 0.5603327

Dat1 has the same number of rows as Dat with missing values for the rows that meet your logical expression. Here are three ways to remove those rows. We can delete the missing values:

Dat2 <- na.omit(Dat1)
Dat2
#           A         B
# 1  0.9148060 0.4577418
# 2  0.9370754 0.7191123
# 4  0.8304476 0.2554288
# 5  0.6417455 0.4622928
# 8  0.1346666 0.1174874
# 9  0.6569923 0.4749971
# 10 0.7050648 0.5603327

Or we can extract the rows we want by flipping the logical expression:

# Dat2 <- Dat
# Dat2 <- Dat[Dat$B < Dat$A, ]
# Dat2
#            A         B
# 1  0.9148060 0.4577418
# 2  0.9370754 0.7191123
# 4  0.8304476 0.2554288
# 5  0.6417455 0.4622928
# 8  0.1346666 0.1174874
# 9  0.6569923 0.4749971
# 10 0.7050648 0.5603327

Or we can subset the original data frame with the subset() function:

Dat2 <- Dat
Dat2 <- subset(Dat, B < A)
Dat2
#            A         B
# 1  0.9148060 0.4577418
# 2  0.9370754 0.7191123
# 4  0.8304476 0.2554288
# 5  0.6417455 0.4622928
# 8  0.1346666 0.1174874
# 9  0.6569923 0.4749971
# 10 0.7050648 0.5603327

Notice that whichever one we use, the row numbers match the original data frame.

David L. Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University