[R] OT --- grammar.

John McKown john@@rch|e@mckown @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 25 14:34:49 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 8:08 PM Michael Sumner <mdsumner using gmail.com> wrote:

> No it isn't. Your stature is diminished by hateful behaviour.

​I will most likely also be labelled "hateful" for saying this, but I found
Rolf's post to be accurate, although phrased in a bit of an elitist way.​
Being a bit of a grammar Nazi (I may as well label myself as others likely
will), I sometimes come across as elitist as well. I am come across this
way because in any scientific endeavour, under which I include programming,
precision and accuracy is the top priority. Because if people think that
_I_ am a grammar Nazi, they haven't run into very many compilers
(especially for the archaic language COBOL) who will simply refuse to
compile something which doesn't make sense according to _its_ rules.

However, unlike Rolf, I do not take offense when people use idiomatic
expressions or even make up phrases on an English speaking mailing list
(English not being any kind of pristine, planned, language). So long as I
can puzzle it out, it is good to me. If I can't puzzle it out, I ignore it.
​
​My apologies to Dr. Sumner for originally sending this to him directly.
That was my error in not double checking that "reply" went to the proper
recipient. ​