[R] OT --- grammar.

John jwd @end|ng |rom @urewe@t@net
Tue Jun 26 02:58:05 CEST 2018

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 09:46:07 +1200
Rolf Turner <r.turner using auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Does/should one say "the degrees of freedom is defined to be" or "the
> degrees of freedom are defined to be"?

I've leaned to differentiating between one degree of freedom and
multiple degrees of freedom and, when needed, phrase what I write
accordingly.  Canned phrases in the output of a routine may use
"degrees" simply because most of the time there are multiple degrees of
freedom.  After all, the only time "degree of freedom" would be
appropriate would be when there is just one.

JWDougherty