[R] package installation

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Mar 6 16:20:40 CET 2018

There is the directory that the compressed file gets downloaded (Temp), and there is another directory where the the extracted files are "installed" ("library"). You can read all about this in the "R Administration and Installation Manual" that comes with R.
The message about the download directory occurs when the library cannot be written to. I am aware of two issues that can interfere with that step on Windows:

A) You have multiple copies of R open on Windows with existing packages open. Install packages with only one copy of R open.

B) You ran R or the setup program with Administrator privileges at some point, and some or all of the packages in your user library (usually C:\Users\Yourname\Documents\R\win-library) have abnormal permissions. Cleaning up such a mess usually involves using Administrator privileges to completely remove C:\Users\Yourname\Documents\R\ and then starting R and installing all your packages again.