[R] Using R and the Tidyverse for an economic model

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Mar 27 20:20:35 CEST 2018

Looks like you have made an impressive start and some attractive
introductions. I have no significant interest in your topic (sorry), but
it seems that you are re-inventing the wheel a bit in regards to much of
your documentation and modularization... R packages can help you solve
these problems in a cross-platform way. You might try starting with [1]
and referring to [2] as needed.

Regarding your representation-independent selectors... this looks to me
like yet another representation (I think the term is "network database"),
and subject to specific advantages and limitations that this
representation imposes. For most work I do, tidy data frames have an
excellent balance of speed and adaptability. For other types of analyses,
multi-dimensional arrays would be better. Nested lists are extremely
flexible, but not particularly fast (some would say quite slow, but that
depends on your use case). Sometimes a relational database or the
data.table package [3] can be used for increased performance, but your
functional interface would not be compatible with _merging_ the
information efficiently, while dplyr can theoretically support any data
store that presents a tabular data interface with data merge capability.

R seems to work best when used in the functional paradigm operating on
general-purpose objects... functions that transform, analyze, and present
data. Having more general classes of objects means more re-use and ad-hoc
analysis can occur. If I make an object of class "myspecial", only
functions I write will be useful. Making it a subclass of a more general
class is one way to make it more widely useful, but avoiding making it a
subclass of the general class at all can be the most flexible design
principle... which is what "tidy data" aspires to do with data frames.

That is, I think you should not be avoiding $ (or more generally the "[["
operator)... you should be embracing it and enabling users to use it as
well. Just don't go all multi-level with it... prefer multi-column indexes
in data frames in most cases (e.g [4]).

[1] http://r-pkgs.had.co.nz/
[2] https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html
[3] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/data.table/vignettes/datatable-intro.html