[R] getting all circular arrangements without accounting for order

Ranjan Maitra maitra at email.com
Fri Mar 30 23:13:40 CEST 2018

Jeff,

Thanks! This one is much faster, no doubt!

system.time(directionless_circular_permutations2(12))
   user  system elapsed
  5.331   0.745   6.089

system.time(directionless_circular_permutations(12))
   user  system elapsed
173.659   0.890 174.946

However, from n = 13, things start becoming slow.

system.time(directionless_circular_permutations2(13))
   user  system elapsed
60.588  14.933  75.864

Perhaps the loop can be parallelized using doMC or doSNOW, etc. but most likely it is best to do a .Call or .C or Rcpp as you suggested earlier. This may be a consequence of the permutations function itself being slow.

Thanks again!
Ranjan