[R] to R Core T: mle function in 32bits not respecting the constrain

francesc badia roca fbr600 @ending from gm@il@com
Mon May 28 07:31:14 CEST 2018

 I have an issue using mle in versions of 32 bits.

I am writing a package which I want to submit to the CRAN.
When doing the check, there is an example that has an error running in the
32 bits version.

The problem comes from the mle function, using it with a lower constrain.
In 64 bits version it works fine but when I put it in the R 32 bits it
fails. (same numbers, all equal!)

The call is:
*mle(minuslogl = p.est,start = beta,method =
"L-BFGS-B",lower=llim*reduction)*
lower  = -0.01570427

The optimizer (optim function in 32 bits) display:
-0.015704 -loglik 48.690236
-0.015704 -loglik 48.690236
-0.017704 -loglik 1.#QNAN0

And it is not respecting the lower constrain.

Could anyone explain me why this? Maybe I am misunderstunding of lower
parameter meaning.

Is this because the 'lower' is for the estimate but not for the hessian
calculations internally? In such a case, why in 64 bits is different from
32 bits?

And how I could solve it?

Thank you.

The code is in: https://github.com/fbr600/rERR