[R] exclude

Fri May 18 06:20:58 CEST 2018

xtabs() produces a matrix with dimnames (actually a S3 class "table"
object, whchi is an array of integers -- in this case, a 2-d arrray, i.e. a
matrix). Spend some time with a basic R tutorial to learn how to index
matrices/arrays. This should be part of your basic R skill set.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Val <valkremk using gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Bert and Jim,
> Jim, FYI , I have an error message generated as
>
> Error in allstates : object 'allstates' not found
>
> Bert, it is working. However, If I want to chose to include only mos years
> example, 2003,2004,2007 and continue the analysis as before.  Where should
> I define the years   to get as follow.
>       2003 2004  2007
>   AL    2    1       1
>   NY    1    1      2
>
> Thank you again.
>

> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 8:48 PM, Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 using gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ... and similar to Jim's suggestion but perhaps slightly simpler (or
>> not!):
>>
>> > cross <- xtabs( Y ~ stat + year, data = tdat)
>> > keep <- apply(cross, 1, all)
>> > keep <- names(keep)[keep]
>> > cross[keep,]
>>     year
>> stat 2003 2004 2006 2007 2009 2010
>>   AL   38   21   20   12   16   15
>>   NY   50   51   57   98  183  230
>>

>> > ## for counts just do:
>> > xtabs( ~ stat + year, data = tdat[tdat$stat %in% keep, ])
>>     year
>> stat 2003 2004 2006 2007 2009 2010
>>   AL    2    1    1    1    1    1
>>   NY    1    1    1    2    2    3
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>
>> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Val <valkremk using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a sample of  data set show as below.
>>> tdat <- read.table(textConnection("stat year Y
>>> AL 2003    25
>>> AL 2003    13
>>> AL 2004    21
>>> AL 2006    20
>>> AL 2007    12
>>> AL 2009    16
>>> AL 2010    15
>>> FL 2006    63
>>> FL 2007    14
>>> FL 2007    25
>>> FL 2009    64
>>> FL 2009    47
>>> FL 2010    48
>>> NY 2003    50
>>> NY 2004    51
>>> NY 2006    57
>>> NY 2007    62
>>> NY 2007    36
>>> NY 2009    87
>>> NY 2009    96
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=2009%C2%A0+%C2%A0+96+%0D%0ANY&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>> NY 2010    91
>>> NY 2010    59
>>> NY 2010    80"),header = TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
>>>
>>> There are three states, I wan tto select states taht do ahve records in
>>> all
>>> year.
>>> Example,