[R] Can't open R files

Mon May 21 13:24:25 CEST 2018

On 21/05/2018 7:20 AM, Nick Wray via R-help wrote:
> Hello.  I'm not sure whether this is strictly the right forum but here goes...   I have got a new (well reconditioned) laptop and have installed R studio on it.  That works fine if I say write a little prog directly into it or paste R script from a word doc.  But if I try to open an R prog (which I've written elsewhere, the laptop doesn't recognise it as an R prog.  Instead it gives me a little icon with a pair of binoculars and says to try to find an app for opening said file.
>
> But up to now I can't find anything on the net which will open the R files in the same way as they simply do on my desktop or old laptop.
>
> I'd be grateful for any ideas or pointers

If you open RStudio, and use the File | Open File... menu, will it open
the program?

If so, then the problem is with your file associations.  If you're using
Windows, you need to right click on the file, choose "Open with...",
then pick RStudio and check the box saying you want to open all files
that way.

Duncan Murdoch