[R] date and time data on x axis

snowball0916 @nowb@||0916 @end|ng |rom 163@com
Sun Nov 4 02:47:29 CET 2018

Hi, Don
After I've tried 1 month data. It show me like attachment.

The problem is it's hard to identify the the high point from the graph.
Is there possible, when my cursor move on some point , it will show me both x axis and y axis data?
OR
Is there other way to get the same goal?

Thanks very much.

From: MacQueen, Don
Date: 2018-10-30 00:01
To: snowball0916; r-help
Subject: Re: [R] date and time data on x axis
Here's an example of 24 hours of data at one second intervals.

npts <- 24*60*60

df <- data.frame(
                 tm = seq( Sys.time(), by='1 sec', length=npts),
                 yd = round(runif(npts),2)
                 )

head(df)

with(df, plot(tm,yd))

The x axis appears to me to be displayed in a neat and clean way. I don't understand what the problem is.
(The data itself is illegible, but that's a different problem.)

The default axis may not be what you want, but it is neat and clean. To choose the axis tick marks and labels yourself, use axis() or axis.POSIXct, as Rui mentioned.  help(axis.POSIXct) provides examples of actual use.

I prefer to do as much as possible with base R, so look at this example:

> as.POSIXct( '20181028_10:00:00' , format='%Y%m%d_%H:%M:%S')
[1] "2018-10-28 10:00:00 PDT"

Therefore
  xdata <- as.POSIXct(mydata$V1, format='%Y%m%d_%H:%M:%S')
is perfectly adequate (the lubridate package is not essential here)

par() is the function that sets graphical parameters. There are many graphical parameters.
"mar" is the parameter that specifies the sizes of the plot margins  ( see ?par )

This expression
   op <- par(mar = c(4, 0, 0, 0) + par("mar"))
is a way to modify the values of the "mar" parameter.

Type the following commands
   par('mar')
   par()$mar        ## an alternative
   c(4,0,0,0) + par('mar')
   par(mar = c(4, 0, 0, 0) + par("mar"))
   par('mar')        ## to see that the margins have been changed

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory