[R] R command prompt newline treatment

Ben b|cr@p @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 5 22:53:42 CET 2018

Hi all -

I’m seeing a weird issue. I’m running R v3.3.2 on CentOS 7 Linux. The
behavior of the command prompt when entering very long commands on a single
line is strange compared to my use in older versions. Specifically, after
hitting enter, the prompt continues on the line immediately after the
previous prompt. In other words, it skips back up past all of the previous
input on that one wrapped line.

One way to see it clearly is to force it to display many newline characters
with ctrl-v ctrl-j and then hit enter. In bash and my earlier R console,
the new prompt is right at the end of the newline sequence, but in the new
versions the prompt jumps back up to the line after the previous prompt.

If anyone has ideas on whats going on, I’d love to hear them! Thanks,

Ben

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]