[R] R command prompt newline treatment

Martin Maechler m@echler @ending from @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue Nov 6 09:32:47 CET 2018

    > Well, you may or may not have ruled out the Putty settings
    > (your hand waving is a bit hard for me to interpret), and
    > there may still be host side terminal settings involved,
    > or if you compiled R yourself you may have setup something
    > wrong. However, in either case the R-sig-fedora mailing
    > list would be more appropriate than R-help for discussing
    > configure options under Red Hat-derived distributions.

Also, why are you using R 3.3.2  when current R is 3.5.1 ?

Even if there might have been problematic behavior of R's
"console" in that version of R, we will not be able to improve
that version retrospectively... but rather the next version of
R.

So please update your R to 3.5.1 (or even "R-devel" ideally, for
checking about potential bugs).