[R] MGCV:: boundary conditions in gam

Simon Wood @imon@wood @ending from b@th@edu
Thu Nov 8 22:08:20 CET 2018

This first derivative penalty spline will do it, but the price paid is
that the curves are often quite wiggly.

library(mgcv); set.seed(5)

x <- runif(100); y <- x^4 + rnorm(100)*.1

b <- gam(y~s(x,m=1))

pd <- data.frame(x=seq(-.5,1.5,length=200))

ff <- predict(b,pd,se=TRUE)

plot(x,y,xlim=c(-.5,1.5));lines(pd$x,ff$fit)

lines(pd$x,ff$fit+2*ff$se.fit,lty=2)