[R] Bug : Autocorrelation in sample drawn from stats::rnorm (hmh)

hmh hugomh @end|ng |rom gmx@|r
Fri Oct 5 10:11:53 CEST 2018

Nope.

This IS a bug:

_*The negative auto-correlation mostly disappear when I randomize small
samples using the R function '*__*sample*__*'.*_

Please check thoroughly the code of the 1st mail I sent, there should be
no difference between the two R functions I wrote to illustrate the bug.

The two functions that should produce the same output if there would be
no bug are 'DistributionAutocorrelation_Unexpected' and
'DistributionAutocorrelation_Expected'.

_/Please take the time to compare there output!!/_

The finite-sample bias in the sample autocorrelation coefficient you
mention should affect them in the same manner. This bias is not the only
phenomenon at work, *_there is ALSO as BUG !_*

Thanks

The first mail I sent is below :

_ _ _

Hi,

I just noticed the following bug:

When we draw a random sample using the function stats::rnorm, there
should be not auto-correlation in the sample. But their is some
auto-correlation _when the sample that is drawn is small_.

I describe the problem using two functions:

DistributionAutocorrelation_Unexpected which as the wrong behavior :
_when drawing some small samples using rnorm, there is generally a
strong negative auto-correlation in the sample_.

and

DistributionAutocorrelation_Expected which illustrate the expected behavior

*Unexpected : *

DistributionAutocorrelation_Unexpected = function(SampleSize){
   Cor = NULL
   for(repetition in 1:1e5){
     X = rnorm(SampleSize)
     Cor[repetition] = cor(X[-1],X[-length(X)])
   }
   return(Cor)
}

par(mfrow=c(3,3))
for(SampleSize_ in c(4,5,6,7,8,10,15,20,50)){
hist(DistributionAutocorrelation_Unexpected(SampleSize_),col='grey',main=paste0('SampleSize=',SampleSize_))
; abline(v=0,col=2)
}

output:

*Expected**:*

DistributionAutocorrelation_Expected = function(SampleSize){
   Cor = NULL
   for(repetition in 1:1e5){
     X = rnorm(SampleSize)
*    Cor[repetition] = cor(sample(X[-1]),sample(X[-length(X)]))*
   }
   return(Cor)
}

par(mfrow=c(3,3))
for(SampleSize_ in c(4,5,6,7,8,10,15,20,50)){
hist(DistributionAutocorrelation_Expected(SampleSize_),col='grey',main=paste0('SampleSize=',SampleSize_))
; abline(v=0,col=2)
}

Some more information you might need:

packageDescription("stats")