[R] Genuine relative paths with R

Ista Zahn |@t@z@hn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Oct 6 18:40:38 CEST 2018

Hi Olivier,

Sorry for misspelling your name! Please see inline below.

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 9:58 AM Olivier GIVAUDAN
<olivier_givaudan using hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ista,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> My motivation is described at the 3rd line of my initial message:
> "if I move all my scripts related to some project as a whole to another location of my computer or someone else's computer, if want my scripts to continue to run seamlessly."
>
> The main point is simply to avoid any hardcoded path in my R scripts, as you wrote in your examples.

My claim is that you cannot avoid hardcoding paths. Even if the
feature you requested existed, you would still have to do e.g.,

source("/path/to/dir/file.R")

That is just as much hard-coded as the (only slightly more verbose)

cd("/path/to/dir")
source("file.R")

So, I'm afraid I still don't get it. What is it that you actually want
to do that you currently cannot?

Best,
Ista