[R] Genuine relative paths with R

Sat Oct 6 21:31:29 CEST 2018

I stopped using hardcoded absolute paths inside R scripts years ago, and I suspect that is fairly common practice. That is, I almost never enter a path starting with "/" or "c:/" in an R script.

The key concession you have to make is to start your R session in your working directory using OS-specific mechanisms, and then reference your code and data relative to that directory. RStudio project files offer one mechanism for doing this; using CD from the OS command line is another, and using the file-browser double-click mechanism on .RData files is another (though I prefer to avoid that these days due to potential global environment contamination).

Perhaps you can be more specific about what facilities you are expecting to find. You should also mention what OS you typically use and how you normally start R.