[R] Rounding behavior

Richard M. Heiberger rmh @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Tue Oct 9 19:33:55 CEST 2018

FAQ 7.31
Open this file in your favorite text editor on your computer
system.file("../../doc/FAQ")

57.5 comes out even in binary, and .575 does not.

> print(.575*100, digits=17)
[1] 57.499999999999993
## The fraction is less than .5, hence it gets rounded down to 57
> print(57.5, digits=17)
[1] 57.5
## the fraction is exactly .5, hence gets rounded to the nearest even number 58