[R] Printing standard notation and scientific notation in the same column of a dataframe

David Disabato ddi@@b01 @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Sep 27 18:35:25 CEST 2018

Hi R-help,

I was wondering if it was possible for a column of a dataframe to print
some numbers in standard notation and some in scientific notation. Say my
column of data (i.e., dat$x) has numbers between 0 and 1 with a few numbers
very close to 0. When using the "scipen" argument in "options," R seems to
print all numbers of a column in scientific notation if one number in the
column is a decimal with a starting digit smaller than the "scipen"
argument. It is annoying that is changes ALL numbers in that column to
scientific notation though. For example, I do want .00000000000000000001 in
scientific notation, but I want .52 in standard form. Ideally, an example
dataframe column would print as something like this:

print(dat$x)
.52
.17
.03
1.0e-20

However, I cannot figure out how to do this. Any solutions people are aware
of?

--
David J. Disabato, M.A.
Clinical Psychology Doctoral Student

Email is not a secure form of communication as information and
confidentiality cannot be guaranteed. Information provided in an email is
not intended to be a professional service. In the case of a crisis or
emergency situation, call 911.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]