[R] Display time of PDF plots

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Mon Sep 3 21:10:27 CEST 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018, David L Carlson wrote:

> If the plot is being displayed on a monitor, it is being bitmapped to the
> resolution of the display device regardless of how you save it. Most
> computer monitors are about 100dpi.

David,

   I'm looking at the report on the monitor. I suspect that most readers
will, too. But, some will print it.

> If the problem is that the points are overprinting, Bert's suggestion to
> use hexbin() is the way to go.

   Most look like overprints, but at the top there are discrete print
characters.

> If the points are not substantially overprinting, you could just save the
> plot in raster format using an lzh compressed tif() or png() to the
> maximum likely resolution of the display device (take zooming into account
> by going up to 600dpi or 1200dpi, for example). Don't use jpg since it is
> lossy and you will get halos when you zoom in.

   I used convert to produce .png images but, of course, bit-maps of plots
and text are less sharp than are vector images.

> You can always preserve a vector version for publication. If you have
> Adobe Acrobat (not Reader), you can Save As Other | Image | tiff (or png)
> and set the resolution before exporting.

   'convert', the ImageMagick tool, does this, too.

Thanks,

Rich