[R] Selecting random subset by ID

Fri Sep 7 22:06:07 CEST 2018

IMO it is worth pointing out that you don't have to write code that solves your problem (else why have this list?) but this whole communication thing works best when you write code that creates a mock set of data that illustrates what you are starting from and some mock output.

The mock input can sometimes be the output of the dput function on a subset of your data, but in your case would probably be something more like

set.seed(42)
ids <- data.frame( id=1:8000, a1=rnorm(8000,0,1),n=sample(2:15,8000,replace=TRUE))
dta <- ids[rep(ids$id,ids$n),]
dta$a0 <- rnorm(nrow(dta),1,2)
dta$value <- with( dta, a0 + a1 )

where the exact way I approach making the data may not be exactly how your data is structured, but clarifying and avoiding that misunderstanding is exactly what you should try to address by learning how to do this when you ask your question.

You may find that reading the above helps you answer your own question, or you can confirm that this data set is close enough and show what code you tried starting with this data.

Oh, and by the way, sending your emails to this list formatted with html is a good way to corrupt your code examples because this list only forwards the plain text part of your email. Start with the plain text setting in your email program and avoid further miscommunication.

More on reproducible examples [1][2][3].

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

[2] http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html

[3] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/reprex/index.html (read the vignette)