[R] sink() output to another directory

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Fri Sep 14 03:05:15 CEST 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, MacQueen, Don wrote:

> In my experience, any path that can be used at the shell prompt in a
> unix-alike can be used anywhere that R wants a file name.

Don,

   That's been my experiences, too.

> Hopefully, that helps...

   That's why I don't understand why the plot() function accepts the
different directory while the sink() function (here) doesn't.

   I showed R rejecting:

sink('stat-summaries/estacada-se-precip.txt')
print(summary(estacada_se_wx))
sink()

while accepting:

pdf('../images/rainfall-estacada-se.pdf')
  <snip xyplot() function>
plot(rain_est_se)
dev.off()

   Changing the sink() file to
'./stat-summaries/estacada-se-precip.txt'

generates the same error while I regularly use this syntax to copy files or
specify the relative path to an executable file.

Regards,

Rich