[R] How to remove backslash

Fri Sep 21 12:48:55 CEST 2018

Hello,

The backslash is not a character of the string str. test it with nchar:

str = '<span id=\"ctl00'
nchar(str)
#[1] 15

It is there just to escape the double quotes.
if you want a backslash you would need to escape it, like in str1.

str1 = '<span id=\\"ctl00'
nchar(str1)
#[1] 16

Now yes, you can remove it.

str2 <- gsub("\\", "", str1, fixed = TRUE)
identical(str, str2)
#[1] TRUE

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas