[R] Complete month name from as.yearmon()

Achim Zeileis Ach|m@Ze||e|@ @end|ng |rom u|bk@@c@@t
Sat Apr 13 13:43:39 CEST 2019

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019, Christofer Bogaso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is any way to get the full name from as.yearmon()
> function. Please consider below example:
>
> library(quantmod)
> as.yearmon(Sys.Date())
>
> This gives: [1] "Apr 2019".
>
> How can I extract the full name ie. 'April 2019'

Internally, printing/formatting of yearmon objects uses the format method
for Date objects, see ?format.Date. The default is "%b %Y" where %b is the
abbreviated month name in the current locale. %B gives you the full month
name, both for Date directly and for yearmon:

R> format(Sys.Date(), "%B %Y")
[1] "April 2019"
R> format(as.yearmon(Sys.Date()), "%B %Y")
[1] "April 2019"