[R] Vectorised uniroot function

Shawn Way SW@y @end|ng |rom meco@com
Tue Apr 23 18:29:36 CEST 2019

I've had to do something similar for some of my engineering calculations.  I would welcome something like this.  It would make the language more amenable for engineering usage.

Thank you kindly!

Shawn Way, PE

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Mark Clements
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:12 AM
To: r-help using r-project.org
Subject: [R] Vectorised uniroot function

** External Email **: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

A vectorised uniroot function would be useful for function inversion, e.g. for quantile functions and random number generation. To address this, I have implemented rstpm2::vuniroot that adapts the C function
R_zeroin2 for Brent's method for a vectorised objective. The function currently uses Rcpp, but could be re-implemented using the C API.

As an example, we can now rapidly sample from a proportional hazards mixture Weibull distribution:

pweibullMixturePH <- function(q, p1, RR, shape1, shape2, scale1=1, scale2=1)
    1 - (p1*pweibull(q, shape1, scale1, lower.tail=FALSE) +
         (1-p1)*pweibull(q, shape2, scale2, lower.tail=FALSE))^RR rfun <- function(pfun) function(n, ..., lower=1e-5, upper=1e6) {
    u <- runif(n)
    objective <- function(q) pfun(q, ...) - u
    rstpm2::vuniroot(objective, lower=rep(lower,length=n),
                     upper=rep(upper,length=n))$root } rweibullMixturePH <- rfun(pweibullMixturePH)
set.seed(12345)
y <- rweibullMixturePH(n=1e4,p1=0.5,RR=2,shape1=1.5,shape2=0.5)

Has anyone previously developed a similar vectorised uniroot function?
Finally, would this be a useful addition to core R?

-- Mark

När du skickar e-post till Karolinska Institutet (KI) innebär detta att KI kommer att behandla dina personuppgifter. Här finns information om hur KI behandlar personuppgifter<https://ki.se/medarbetare/integritetsskyddspolicy>.

Sending email to Karolinska Institutet (KI) will result in KI processing your personal data. You can read more about KI’s processing of personal data here<https://ki.se/en/staff/data-protection-policy>.