[R] ggplot2 fill problem in colour shading

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Sun Aug 11 19:02:56 CEST 2019

> On Aug 11, 2019, at 9:13 AM, Troels Ring <tring using gvdnet.dk> wrote:
>
> Dear friends - I have 2  problems with ggplot2
>
> Here is the code for illustration
>

> x <- seq(1,10,length=10000)
>
> y <- x^2
>
> fill <- rep(0,length(x))
>
> fill[(5<x)&(x<7.5)] <- "red"
>
> ddf <- data.frame(x,y,fill)
>
> ggplot(data=ddf,aes(x=x,y=y)) + geom_area(aes(fill=fill)) + geom_line()
>

> First the embarrassing one: I would really like no fill except from x from 5
> to 7.5 or transparency so the background is still visible. Have tried NULL
> and NA with no effect.
>
> The other thing is that it appears that above the blue area some of the
> other color spills true - reddish on my system.

I'm not exactly clear on the request, but perhaps this will help clarify. Need to extract the desired portion of the ddf object to give to the geom_area function:

ggplot(data=ddf,aes(x=x,y=y)) + geom_line(color="blue") + geom_area(data=ddf[(5<ddf$x)&(ddf$x<7.5),], inherit.aes=FALSE, aes(x=x,y=y,fill=fill) )

--
David.