[R] Trying to understand how to sort a DF on two columns

Tue Aug 13 10:11:15 CEST 2019

Hello,

Though good answers were already given, I would like to say something.

1.
If you are lazy (typing), use with, if you prefer to play safe, don't.
I am lazy many times, but in interactive mode only.

2.
I find it better in the long run *not* to take advantage of R's
one-liners, they tend to be less readable. Instead of putting everything
in the same instruction why not

i <- order( temp$patid, temp$time )
data4xsort <- temp[ i, ]

This has the disadvantage of creating an extra variable but are you
really having memory problems? If not, use the clearer code. Besides, if
this goes into a function all temporary variables will be gone and the
memory released, in which case there will be no problem.

(The with equivalent is i <- with(temp, order(patid, time)), btw.)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas