[R] Rsession memory leak freezes Ubuntu 16.04

Skyler Saleebyan @ky|erb@@|eeby@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 14 05:41:25 CEST 2019

Hi,

Earlier R crashed on my system, after repeated attempts rebooting, running
it under gdb, and clearing the ~/.rstudio-desktop, I have not been to run
rstudio without rsession growing until it completely takes up my systems 16
GB of RAM and freezes it.

I know that rsession is where the leak is occurring because I killed the
process once before the leak froze the whole system and I got this for
memory usage  about 10 minutes after killing rstudio.

skyler using skyler-G5-5587:~$ ps -A --sort -rss -o comm,pmem | head -n 11
COMMAND         %MEM
rsession        74.6
compiz           1.5
Discord          1.5
Discord          0.7
Discord          0.7
gdb              0.7
gnome-software   0.4
Xorg             0.4
evolution-calen  0.3
gnome-system-mo  0.3

before killing gdb to avoid a full freeze the trace through this error:
[Thread 0x7fffdce3a700 (LWP 2481) exited]

How do I scrub the current rsession and restart rstudio?

Thanks,
Skyler

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]