[R] Code modification for post-hoc power

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 26 19:18:21 CEST 2019

That doesn't work. In caricature, post-hoc power is

- I observe a difference of nearly zero
- However, to find a significant difference of that size I'd need 200000 observations
- I only used 100 observations
- Therefore my study is useless and can be discarded

(or: I calculate the probability of Type II error if the true difference is the observed and get 0.999... Therefore, etc.)

Best way out is a confidence interval. Second best (but in principle wrong) is to redo the pre-study power calculation and say that the study was designed to find a difference of delta, which it clearly didn't, so the true difference is probably less than delta.

-pd