[R] parsing files with "\" character

Tue Aug 27 20:43:56 CEST 2019

The principles of regex are basically the same between R and those other languages, so I don't see why you would switch... but if you did, asking here would be inappropriate.

I think the short answer is yes, but can't be specific without a reproducible example. ([1] is recommended but not required.)

Keep in mind that R has a syntax for strings that uses \ for escaping the following character. Thus, "\\" is a single-character string with a backslash in it. However, grep also uses backslash for escaping, so if you want to search for a single backslash in a target string then grep needs two backslashes, but each of those has to be escaped in an R string so you would use four backslashes in R source code strings to match one in the target.

[1] package reprex