[R] [FORGED] Re: R commander (Rcmdr) won't start [SOLVED]

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Sun Dec 8 23:31:50 CET 2019

On 8/12/19 9:35 pm, gabriele pallotti wrote:

> Dear John,
> thank you for your prompt reply. An inexperienced user like me tends to see
> the .Rdata folder like the document folder for other programs, and, as one
> doesn't have to delete the document folder when updating Libreoffice, tends
> to think the same for R.

<SNIP>

You should be aware that .RData (note the upper case "D") is *not* a
"folder" (or "directory" in the parlance of civilised, i.e. Linux,
users).  Rather it is a single binary *file*.  It behaves like a
directory in some sense in that it "contains" (or may contain)  one or
may R objects which similarly are "like" individual files.  However
there is a distinction and it can be important to keep this distinction
in mind in order to understand subtle phenomena that may appear.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow