[R] Finding the Mean of a Specific Set of Columns

Ben Tupper btupper @end|ng |rom b|ge|ow@org
Thu Feb 14 17:38:29 CET 2019

Hi,

You might try your hand at the tidyverse collection of tools which are veddy nice for this kind of wrangling. https://www.tidyverse.org/

Does this do the trick?

## START
library(readr)
library(dplyr)

txt <- "row plot lai leaf
1 104 82 1
2 104 167 2
3 104 248 3
4 104 343 4
5 104 377 5
6 105 64 1
7 105 139 2
8 105 211 3
9 105 296 4
10 105 348 5
11 106 94 1
12 106 167 2
13 106 243 3
14 106 281 4
15 106 332 5
16 108 83 1
17 108 382 2
18 108 320 3
19 108 146 4
20 108 129 5"

x <- readr::read_delim(txt, delim = " ") %>%
	dplyr::group_by(plot) %>%
	dplyr::summarize(mean_lai = mean(lai))

# A tibble: 4 x 2
   # plot mean_lai
  # <dbl>    <dbl>
# 1   104     243.
# 2   105     212.
# 3   106     223.
# 4   108     212

## END

Cheers,
Ben

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

P.S.  Don't forget that HTML formatted emails get stripped of formatting on this list - so be sure to change your email client to send plain text.