[R] Remove cases with -Inf from a data frame

Sat Feb 16 17:25:06 CET 2019

Many ways. I assume you know that Inf and -Inf are (special) numeric values
that can be treated like other numerics. i.e.

> 1 == - Inf
[1] FALSE

So straightforward indexing (selection) would do it.
But there is also ?is.infinite and ?is.finite, so

apply(yourdat, 1, function(x)all(is.finite(x)))

would produce the index vector to keep rows with only finite values
assuming yourdat contains only numeric data. If this is not the case, just
select the numeric columns to index on, i.e.

apply(yourdat[sapply(yourdat,is.numeric)], 1, function(x) all(is.finite(x)))

One possible problem here is handling of NA's:

is.finite(c(-Inf,NA))
[1] FALSE FALSE
... so rows containing NA's but no -Inf's would also get removed. If you
wish to keep rows with NA's but no -Inf's, then

function(x)(is.finite(x) | is.na(x) )

could be used.

Cheers,
Bert