[R] g++ error causes non-zero exit status for package installation

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Sat Jan 5 21:14:49 CET 2019

On 5 January 2019 at 20:40, Winfried Moser wrote:
| dirk & bill, you guys are incredible! the non-silent .Rprofile was the
| problem!
| making the code interactive didn't help either, only silenceing it helped!

Good to know you have it fixed.

| thanks so much! i assume moving to r-sig-debian is now obsolete.
|
| ps, @dirk: adding michael rutters ppa also helped, but the packages get
| installed to R_LIBS_SITE, and not (as i am used to) to R_LIBS-USER.
| but this was only a minor inconvinience (i like to keep the packages in one
| directory).

No, it is even more fine grained:

 - r-cran-* packages always install in /usr/lib/R/site-library

 - (One exception: Base R and recommended packages go to /usr/lib/R/library )

 - local "from source" installation goes by default to /usr/local/lib/R/site-library

and the third part is much better for multi-user setting.  See the comments
in the file /etc/R/Renviron.site if you want to change this.

This has been our default since about 2003 or 2004 when Kurt Hornik and Fritz
Leisch convinced me of that approach in a Vienna bar. It is better.

And this discussion too belonged on r-sig-debian so let's stop here.

Dirk