[R] Merge the data from multiple text files

David L Carlson dc@rl@on @ending from t@mu@edu
Sun Jan 6 00:09:21 CET 2019

To expand on David W's answer, here is an approach to your example. If you have many text files, you would want to process them together rather than individually. You gave us two examples so I'll use those and read them from the console using readLines(), but you would use the same function to open the files on your computer:

> TF1 <- readLines(n=3)
A = not(B or C)
B = A and C
C = D

> TF2 <- readLines(n=2)
A = D and E
B = not(D)

> TF <- sort(c(TF1, TF2))
> TF
[1] "A = D and E"     "A = not(B or C)" "B = A and C"     "B = not(D)"
[5] "C = D"

Now we have combined the files into a single character vector called TF and sorted them. Next we need to parse them into the left and right hand sides. We will replace " = " with "\t" (tab) to do that:

> TF.delim <- gsub(" = ", "\t", TF)
> TF.data <- read.delim(text=TF.delim, header=FALSE, as.is=TRUE)
> colnames(TF.data) <- c("LHS", "RHS")
> print(TF.data, right=FALSE)
  LHS RHS
1 A   D and E
2 A   not(B or C)
3 B   A and C
4 B   not(D)
5 C   D

TF.data is a data frame with two columns. The tricky part is to add surrounding parentheses to rows 1 and 3 to get your example output:

> paren1 <- grepl("and", TF.data$RHS)
> paren2 <- !grepl("\\(*\\)", TF.data$RHS)
> paren <- apply(cbind(paren1, paren2), 1, all)
> TF.data$RHS[paren] <- paste0("(", TF.data$RHS[paren], ")")
> print(TF.data, right=FALSE)
  LHS RHS
1 A   (D and E)
2 A   not(B or C)
3 B   (A and C)
4 B   not(D)
5 C   D

The first three lines identify the rows that have the word "and" but do not already have parentheses. The fourth line adds the surrounding parentheses. Finally we will combine the rows that belong to the same LHS value with split and create a list:

> TF.list <- split(TF.data$RHS, TF.data$LHS)
> TF.list
$`A`
[1] "(D and E)"   "not(B or C)"

$B
[1] "(A and C)" "not(D)"

$C
[1] "D"

> TF.and <- lapply(TF.list, paste, collapse=" and ")
> TF.final <- lapply(names(TF.and), function(x) paste(x, "=", TF.and[[x]]))
> TF.final <- do.call(rbind, TF.final)
> TF.final
     [,1]
[1,] "A = (D and E) and not(B or C)"
[2,] "B = (A and C) and not(D)"
> write(TF.final, file="TF.output.txt")

The text file "TF.output.txt" contains the three lines.

David L. Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University