[R] Rserve - Request assistance with installation, confirmation thereof and starting (R 3.5.1 on 64-bit Win7 Pro)

Rick Van Camp r@vc0805 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 15 22:01:11 CET 2019

Hello,

I am attempting to install two R packages with specific version numbers.
These are Rserve_1.8-0.zip and MASS_7.3-45.zip.  As the file extension
suggests, I am installing packages from local zipfiles in the GUI Packages
menu.  R Console displays positive feedback when MASS is loaded in this
manner:

*> utils:::menuInstallLocal()*

package ‘MASS’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The R Console does not display any message when I attempt to install Rserve
in the same manner.  What does this indicate about Rserve being installed
successfully?  I was only provided instructions to install these two
packages. No mention is made af loading them and this is feasible as Rserve
can run without R being open.

Further, I recently located two discussion threads indicating Rserve
requires a configuration file and this is created by the user.  These
threads refer the reader to three files: 1) Rserve.exe, 2) Rserve.dll, and
3) Rserve_d.exe and instructs these should be placed into the same
directory where R.dll is located (This is the bin directory on my
installation: R.home("bin")).  Next, it instructs readers to create the
file "Rserv.cfg" and provide the desired arguments such port number.

Here is my result of sessionInfo()

*> sessionInfo()*

R version 3.5.1 (2018-07-02)

Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1

Matrix products: default

locale:

[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252

[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252

[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252

[4] LC_NUMERIC=C

[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

[1] compiler_3.5.1 tools_3.5.1

Please let me know if you need anything else regarding my installation of
R.  Since I have been unable to accomplish this task, I have not saved a
workspace.

Thank you.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]