[R] R help: fviz_nbclust’ is not available (for R version 3.5.2)

Wed Jan 16 20:22:22 CET 2019

Concept 1: You don't install functions... you install packages that have functions in them. There is a function fviz_nbclust in factoextra.

Concept 2: Once a package is installed, you do NOT have to install it again, e.g. every time you want to do that analysis. Making the installation part of your script is not advised.

Concept 3: Typically we do use the library function with a package name at the beginning of every session where we want to use functions from that package. However, that is optional... you could also just invoke the function directly using factoextra::fviz_nbclust(...blahblah...). Having the library function shortens this and if the package is not installed it provides a clear error message that can be a reminder to the user to install the package.

Execute your code line by line and solve the first error you encounter by examining the error message and reviewing what that line of code is designed to do.