[R] data transformation

David L Carlson dc@r|@on @end|ng |rom t@mu@edu
Sun Jan 20 19:20:25 CET 2019

I don't think you have given us enough information. For example, is the 500x500 matrix a distance matrix or does it represent 500 columns of information about 500 rows of observations? If a distance matrix, how is distance being measured? You clarification suggests it may be a distance matrix of correlation coefficients? If distance has different meanings between -1 and 0 and 0 and +1, getting interpretable results from cluster analysis will be difficult, but it is not clear what you mean by that.

David L. Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help [mailto:r-help-bounces using r-project.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Johnson
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:02 AM
To: r-help <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: [R] data transformation

Dear group,
My question, perhaps is more of a statistical question using R
I have a data matrix ( 400 x 400 normally distributed) with data
points ranging from -1 to +1..
For certain clustering algorithms, I suspect the tight data range is
not helping resolving the clusters.

Is there a way to transform the data something similar to logit, where
I dont lose normality of the data and yet I can better expand the data
ranges.

Thanks
Adrian

and provide commented, minimal, self-contained