[R] [FORGED] Newbie Question on R versus Matlab/Octave versus C

Alan Feuerbacher @|@n|00 @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Wed Jan 30 03:27:42 CET 2019

On 1/28/2019 5:17 PM, Bert Gunter wrote:
> I would say your question is foolish -- you disagree no doubt! --
> because the point of using R (or Octave or C++) is to take advantage of
> the packages (= "libraries" in some languages; a library is something
> different in R) it (or they) offers to simplify your task. Many of R's
> libraries are written in C (or Fortran) an thus **are** fast as well as
> having task-appropriate functionality and UI's .

Yes, I'm well aware of the libraries in Octave. But so far as I was able
to see, none of them fit my needs. I used Octave at first because I'm
familiar with it. But far from an expert.

> So I think instead of pursuing this discussion you would do well to
> search. I find rseek.org <http://rseek.org> to be especially good for
> this sort of thing. Searching there on "demography" brought up what
> appeared to be many appropriate hits -- including the "demography"
> package! -- which you could then examine to see whether and to what
> extent they provide the functionality you seek.

I looked over the demography package, and it indeed appears to do what I
want. But it seems to be far more complicated than my simple problem,
and has a large learning curve.

Alan