[R] Plotting in R

@steii m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @steii m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Fri Jul 12 14:56:16 CEST 2019

Thanks Jim.

I am trying to apply this to my version with plot_ly, and couldn't make it to work.
The sydf$year1 field is numeric, so the min() and max() works, but when I tried to use your formula for the sydf$monthday field I get an error:
yrticks <- as.Date(as.character(seq(min(sydf$monthday),max(sydf$monthday),by=2)),
                  "%Y")

Error in seq.default(min(sydf$monthday), max(sydf$monthday), by = 2) :
  'from' must be a finite number
In addition: Warning message:
In seq.default(min(sydf$monthday), max(sydf$monthday), by = 2) :
  NAs introduced by coercion

So I thought maybe you need to sample the tickvals not the ticktext and it would show the corresponding tick labels in the right palaces. Then I tried the way you had like this:
sydf<-read.table(text="year1 monthday rate
 1993 05-01 0.608
 1994 06-01 0.622
 1996 07-01 0.623
 1998 08-01 0.647
 2000 09-01 0.646
 2002 10-01 0.625
 2004 11-01 0.628
 2006 12-01 0.685
 2008 01-01 0.679
 2010 02-01 0.595
 2012 03-01 0.567
 2014 04-01 0.599
 2016 05-01 0.642
 2018 06-01 0.685",
                 header=TRUE,
                 stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

yrticks <- as.Date(as.character(seq(min(sydf$year1),max(sydf$year1),by=2)),
                  "%Y")

library(plotly)
plot_ly(sydf,
        x = ~year1,
        y = ~rate,
        type = 'scatter', mode = 'lines') %>%
  layout(
    xaxis = list(
      ticktext = sydf$monthday,
      tickvals = sydf$yrticks,
      tickmode = "array",
      tickangle = 270
    ))

But the chart didn't show any tick labels.
I guess I need to sample sydf$monthday, right? Because that's what I want to show as tick labels. But the problem is that monthday is string, and can't use a value for "by=", maybe I need to sample somehow by the index position.

Thanks,
Steven