[R] Pasting R code lines into labels

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Thu Jun 6 21:18:59 CEST 2019

Hi,

Sorry for the misfire on the first attempt.

After seeing the clarifications, I thought about a possible way to do this, perhaps a little more simply, while encapsulating the plotting in a function:

plotFx <- function(x, fun) {
  plot(x, fun(x), main = paste0("Plot of y = ", deparse(fun)[2]))
}

So let's say that you have:

x <- 1:10

f <- function(x) x^2
plotFx(x, f)

f <- function(x) cos(x)
plotFx(x, f)

f <- function(x) exp(x) + 1
plotFx(x, f)

In the case of the first function, you get:

> deparse(f)
[1] "function (x) " "x^2"

for the second:

> deparse(f)
[1] "function (x) " "cos(x)"

and for the third:

> deparse(f)
[1] "function (x) " "exp(x) + 1"

Thus, the "deparse(fun)[2]" snippet within the internal paste0() function call, gets you the second, textual part of the function body, which can then be passed as a character vector to the titles or other labels as needed.

A potential gotcha that I would envision, is that the default width in the character vector resulting from deparse() is 60. Thus, by default the function body would broken up into multiple character segments, no longer than approximately 60 characters each. Thus, if you envision that you might end up with very long formulae on x, you may need to adjust the width.cutoff argument in the deparse() call, and likely need to do some additional formatting of the labels in the plot as apropos.

There may be other functional nuances that I am missing here, but this may be a suitable approach.

Regards,

Marc