[R] R-help mailing list archives

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Tue Jun 11 13:58:58 CEST 2019

> [..................]
> [..................]
> [..................]
>
>> This email list's archives:
>
>> Apologies in advance if this question has been asked and
>> answered many times already.
>
>> But know that before posting this, in addition to a normal
>> web search, I tried to find prior discussions on this
>> email list.
>
>> This is problematic.  The official site
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help says that the
>> only ways which partly work are the GMANE interfaces and
>> the Nabble one.
>
> You misread what it tries to say. The first time it mentions 'archives'
> it gives you the link showing 'R-help Archives' which goes to
>
>   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/
>
> which are the official R-help archives (on that same server stat.ethz.ch
> provided to the R community by the Math Dept. of ETH Zurich).
> They work "fine" but don't have a nice 1-click search interface.
> So you what has worked for ca 20 years
> {{ but people probably
>   mostly have not learned anymore thanks to the universally "fool
>   proof" search interface
> }}
> still works fine: Use  the site:<SITE> trick,  i.e.,
>
> where I found that adding "pipermail" is also somewhat important
> to find more mailing list answers (than R help pages which are
> also served from there).
> E.g.,
>      site:stat.ethz.ch pipermail R windows GUI scaling
>
> finds a lot (but maybe nothing relevant to your search), notably
> with Google;
> a bit less unfortunately  with my usual search engine "Duck Duck
> Go" (which is *not* keeping track as much as Google of everything I do )
>

>> I got a Error 522 page from GMANE.
>
> Yes, unfortunately...  Should probably remove that link from the
> R-help info page; it has gone for several years now AFAIK.
>
> Martin Maechler
> ETH Zurich and R Core Team
>

>> Nabble returned 2 hits for variations on the search terms
>> "rgui high dpi 4k"
>> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Font-Size-for-View-under-Linux-td4746104.html
>>
>> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Bug-report-problems-with-saving-plots-on-a-Windows-PC-with-4k-monitor-wrong-picture-size-td4752183.html
>> None are relevant here.

Hi,

Just to amplify Martin's comments, if you go to the main R Project web site, you will find, in the left hand navigation links the following:

Search:
https://www.r-project.org/search.html

and

Getting Help:
https://www.r-project.org/help.html

both of which eventually link to search resources such as rseek.org, which are dedicated to R related searches.

Using rseek.org and the "All" tab, with the same search phrase as above, though not quoted, led to the following two hits:

R-Devel from 2015:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2015-September/071732.html

A Microsoft support note:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/4091364/windows-10-fix-blurry-apps

It is not clear to me if either is helpful here in the end as I do not have a 4K display, but at least shows alternative results using rseek.org.

Note that rseek.org, includes other sources beyond the official R e-mail list archives, which is why the MS note comes up. You can narrow the results by using the various tab options at the top of the page.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz