[R] Open a file which name contains a tilde

Frank Schwidom @chw|dom @end|ng |rom gmx@net
Fri Jun 14 14:43:56 CEST 2019

Hi John,

First, the unix and linux filesystem allows the use of any nonzero character in its filesystem filenames and the c functions open / fopen, symlink. rename, chdir and so on  don't care about any tilde. If the open systemcall gets a file which begins with a tilde then it will try to open this filename without any preceding modification.

So the tilde expansion is not really a unix idiom. It is rather an idiom of its unix shells like bash. But beware, the bash treats the tilde as home path not in all cases.

Inside of quotes the tilde keeps unaltered. So bedides any cenvenience functionality which can lead to failing code the bash has a very clean way to access files in a unique way.

And here is the problem wirh R.

The R shell has no quoting mechanism for this use case. It provides the tilde expansion after a string has been defined. In the bash it is the opposite. First the string gets defined ( for instance ~"/abc.txt" would expand to "/home/user/abc.txt" or "~/abc.txt" keeps "~/abc.txt" and that means a directory named '~' with a directory entry named 'abc.txt' inside of it) and after it is defined it keeps consistent and can be passed to every function.

Actually R has already a clean string datatype. But by the transition to filesystem operations the expansion takes place. In my opinion at the wrong place. And additionally there exists no quoting mechanism which allows to keep tildes unaltered.  It would be better to clear distinguish between a string which is passed to the filesystem calls and some convenience expansion mechanisms.

But it is like it is. For my need I created a solution which takes strings unaltered and so I can fulfil my work.

And for whom who is interested in it, can take a look:

https://github.com/schwidom/simplefs

Suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards
Frank Schwidom