[R] Tidyverse data frame conversion from monthly to annual

phii m@iii@g oii phiiipsmith@c@ phii m@iii@g oii phiiipsmith@c@
Mon Mar 4 04:14:55 CET 2019

I have a data frame in which the first column is a sequence of monthly
dates and the other columns are variables. There are a great many
variables. I want to create another data frame similar to the first one,
but with annual values instead of monthly, created by summing the months
within each year.

I am able to do this as shown in this reprex:

library(tidyverse)
REF_DATE <- seq(as.Date("2000/1/1"),by="month",length.out=36)
set.seed(57)
df <- data.frame(REF_DATE,
                  x=sample(1:100,size=36),
                  y=sample(1:100,size=36),
                  z=sample(1:100,size=36),
                  Year=year(REF_DATE))
df1 <- df %>%
   group_by(Year) %>%
   summarise(x_a=sum(x),y_a=sum(y),z_a=sum(z)) %>%
   ungroup()

However, while this works for the simple case with only three variables,
I actually have many more than three, so I am looking for a more general
approach. I have no clue as to how to proceed. Any advice will be much
appreciated.

Philip