[R] Global counter in library

Pascal A. Niklaus p@@c@|@n|k|@u@ @end|ng |rom |eu@uzh@ch
Mon Mar 11 19:57:47 CET 2019

I am trying to implement a global counter in a library. This counter
resides in an environment local to that package, and is incremented by
calling a function within this package.

Problems arise when I use parallelization. I protected the increment
operation with a lock so that this operation effectively should be
atomic. However, the environment local to the package seems not to be
shared among the threads that use the functions in that package (not in
the sense that a change would be visible in the other threads).

How is such a global counter best implemented?

Here is a basic sketch of what I tried:

library(parallel)

library(flock)

## begin of code in package

tmp <- tempfile()
.localstuff <- new.env()
.localstuff$N <- 0
.localstuff$tmp <- tempfile()

incr <- function()
{
     h <- lock(.localstuff$tmp)
     .localstuff$N <- .localstuff$N + 1
     unlock(h)
}

## end code in library

invisible(mclapply(1:10, function(i) incr()))

cat("N =", .localstuff$N)