[R] Issue with t.test

SMRUTI BULSARI b@mrut| @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Wed Mar 13 11:47:27 CET 2019

Dear Greg Snow / Rolf Turner:

I must thank you very much for your very prompt and a detailed response to my query on t.test command.

I am attaching herewith, a file in csv format, containing the column vector with on which I am performing the one-sample t-test using t.test. I understand that 1.96 is not an automatic rejection of null. However, at alpha = 0.05 and degrees of freedom = 99 (100 observations minus 1), one may consider rejecting the null at t-value greater than 1.96 for a two-tailed test and an absolute value of 1.64 for upper and lower tailed tests. I am performing one-sample t-test with a hypothesized mean of 50 and the actual mean works out to 59.96753. I would also like to bring to your notice that while, I perform a two-tailed t-test using the following command:

t.test(X,mu=50,alternative='two.sided',conf.level=0.95)

I am getting a p-value < 2.2e-16.

If I use the same command with alternative = ‘greater’, as follows:

t.test(X,mu=50,alternative='greater',conf.level=0.95)

I still get a p-value <2.2e-16

However, if I use the command with alternative = ‘less’, as follows:

t.test(X,mu=50,alternative='less',conf.level=0.95)

I am getting a p-value = 1 and therefore, this query. As you mention in your e-mail, I even thought that 2.2e-16 is to be deducted from 1 to get the p-value for the ‘less’ and perhaps that seems to be a explanation to it.

I am still attaching the R script file and the data file for your perusal.

Thanking you once again.

Kindest regards,

Smruti Bulsari

LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/smruti-bulsari-0a30b312/