[R] How to list recursive package dependency prior to installation/upgrade of a package

William Dunlap wdun|@p @end|ng |rom t|bco@com
Thu Mar 14 20:50:58 CET 2019

> tools::package_dependencies("lme4")
$lme4
 [1] "Matrix"    "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grid"      "splines"
 [7] "utils"     "parallel"  "MASS"      "lattice"   "boot"      "nlme"
[13] "minqa"     "nloptr"    "Rcpp"      "RcppEigen"

> tools::package_dependencies("lme4", recursive=TRUE)
$lme4
 [1] "Matrix"    "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grid"      "splines"
 [7] "utils"     "parallel"  "MASS"      "lattice"   "boot"      "nlme"
[13] "minqa"     "nloptr"    "Rcpp"      "RcppEigen" "grDevices"

Use reverse=TRUE to list packages that depend on the given package.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com