[R] density vs. mass for discrete probability functions

Stefan Schreiber @@chre|b @end|ng |rom u@|bert@@c@
Fri Mar 15 01:43:28 CET 2019

Dear R users,

While experimenting with the dbinom() function and reading its
documentation (?dbinom) it reads that "dbinom gives the density" but
shouldn't it be called "mass" instead of "density"? I assume that it
has something to do with keeping the function for "density" consistent
across discrete and continuous probability functions - but I am not
sure and was hoping someone could clarify?

Furthermore the help file for dbinom() function references a link
(http://www.herine.net/stat/software/dbinom.html) but it doesn't seem
to land where it should. Maybe this could be updated?

Thank you,
Stefan