[R] loop through columns in a data frame

Yuan, Keming (CDC/DDNID/NCIPC/DVP) vrm4 @end|ng |rom cdc@gov
Mon Mar 25 19:26:41 CET 2019

Thank you so much, Jim. That’s exactly what I need. Sorry for not providing the data frame. But you created the correct data structure. Thanks again!

From: jim holtman <jholtman using gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 2:07 PM
To: Yuan, Keming (CDC/DDNID/NCIPC/DVP) <vrm4 using cdc.gov>
Cc: R-help using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] loop through columns in a data frame

R Notebook

You forgot to provide what your test data looks like. For example, are all the columns a single letter followed by “_" as the name, or are there longer names? Are there always matched pairs (‘le’ and ‘me’) or can singles occur?
Hide

library(tidyverse)

# create some data

test <- tibble(a_le = sample(3, 10, TRUE),

               a_me = sample(3, 10, TRUE),

               b_le = sample(3, 10, TRUE),

               b_me = sample(3, 10, TRUE),

               long_le = sample(3, 10, TRUE),

               long_me = sample(3, 10, TRUE),

               short_le = sample(3, 10, TRUE)

)

So get the names of the columns that contain ‘le’ or ‘me’ and group them together for processing
Hide

col_names <- grep("_(le|me)$", names(test), value = TRUE)

group <- tibble(id = str_remove(col_names, "_.*"), col = col_names)

result <- group %>%

  group_by(id) %>%

  do(tibble(x = rowSums(test[, .$col] == 1)))

# add new columns back

for (i in split(result, result$id)){

  test[, paste0(i$id[1], "_new")] <- as.integer(i$x > 0)

}

test

a_le
<int>